Shine a Light is a national initiative to spotlight modern-day antisemitism and anti-Zionism. It draws from the story of Chanukah, the Festival of Lights, to champion the message that one small light can dispel darkness and hatred.
WAYS YOU CAN SHINE A LIGHT ON ANTISEMITISM
- SHARE YOUR LIGHT: Color this Menorah and display it in in your window together with a lit Menorah during Chanukah. You can also take a picture and email it to email@example.com. We will share it on social media and also send it to the Mishkan Museum in Israel to display.
- GET SOCIAL: Read and share Federation’s social media posts, featuring videos, articles, and other resources that shine a light on antisemitism during the eight days of Chanukah using the #SHINEALIGHTONANTISEMITISM. Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/JewishBerkshires to see the posts.
- EDUCATE: Read and share resources on antisemitism, including those which will be included in Federation’s weekly e-blast during the month of December. (see below)
- SHARE THE LIGHT: Join our Community Chanukah Celebration on December 18th at The Mount in Lenox. More info and register at jewishberkshires.org.
- LEARN: Join us on January 26 at 6:45 p.m. for a virtual program with respected scholar Dr. Charles Asher Small as he explores issues of contemporary Jew hatred in the United States, including antisemitism in American universities, popular culture, and hip hop. Register at jewisberkshires.org.
- REPORT: If you have experienced or witnessed an incident of antisemitism, report it at www.adl.org/report-incidentand www.justice.gov/hatecrimes and also notify Federation.
- CALL IT OUT: Call out antisemitism each and every time you witness it, in person, on social media, or in your school or community.
- LEARN MORE: Visit WWW.SHINEALIGHTON.COM for additional resources to share with your family, friends, and colleagues.
- READ: Understanding Modern Day Antisemitism (FAQs)
- READ: The American Jewish Committee recently released its findings based on two parallel surveys of American Jews and of the US general public. The survey of American Jews was conducted in September and October 2021. The link to the surveys, insight and analysis follows: The State of Antisemitism in America 2021.
- READ: Antisemitism Uncovered: A Guide to Old Myths in a New Era. Anti-Defamation League. A comprehensive resource with historical context, fact-based descriptions of prevalent antisemitic myths, contemporary examples and calls-to-action for addressing this hate.
- READ: How Anti-Semitism Rises on the Left and Right. The New Yorker. (2020)
- READ: Anti-Semitism is a Symptom (Sarna, 2020)
- READ: Antisemitism Posts Rarely Removed By Social Media Companies. National Public Radio.
- READ: What Kids should know about Antisemitism. Jewish Boston. June 14, 2021.
- READ: Anti-Defamation League-Hillel Campus Antisemitism Survey 2021
- READ: Anti-Semitism: 90 Ways to Respond. Anti-Defamation League.
- LISTEN: How to Combat Rising Antisemitism in America. (55:49) with Dr. Rachel Fish. JewishBoston.
- WATCH: Oprah Winfrey and Elie Wiesel at Auschwitz (9:59)
- WATCH: “The Disturbing Resilience of Antisemitism ” with Oren Jacobson (1:21.38)
- WATCH: The Mainstreaming of Antisemitism: How Should We Respond? (55:28) American Jewish Committee Virtual Global Forum with Bret Stephens, Bari Weiss and Simone Rodan-Benzaquen.
- READ: Talking with Teens About Antisemitism, Racism, and Mental Health in Response to Kanye West A resource from Moving Traditions