The Jewish Federation of the Berkshires seeks a part-time Food Services Director to run the daily operations of our kosher lunch program in a welcoming environment that meets the nutritional needs of the Jewish older adult population. The Food Service Director develops, plans, coordinates, and executes the preparation of 20-40 kosher meals daily, three days a week for most of the year, and two days a week during the summer. Full training on kosher dietary laws provided. There is ongoing support to assure compliance.
- Planning nutritious menus, sourcing and purchasing kosher foods, cooking meals, and overseeing clean-up of a shared commercial kosher kitchen.
- Supervising and training of food aide, who assists with the food prep, cooking, and cleaning, as well as volunteers, who help with delivery and provide other support as needed.
- Maintaining compliance with Kosher dietary laws in purchasing and preparing food and maintaining the kitchen. Full training will be provided, and there is ongoing support provided to ensure compliance.
- Managing all program administration, including budget control, food storage, accurate recordkeeping of participants, tracking and reporting of volunteer hours, etc.
- Building and maintaining relationships with the older adults served. Observing changes in participants’ safety and well-being and making referrals or mandatory reporting as needed.
- Creating and distributing menu information in a timely and accurate manner for proper publicity.
- Communicating with Federation staff to ensure the timely marketing of monthly menus and that volunteer positions are filled.
- Maintaining compliance with current food safety standards and certifications, including those of the Pittsfield Health Department and SafeServ.
- Good knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of managing a food service program, including menu planning, budget control, purchasing, cooking, and serving.
- A minimum of 5 years of dedicated food service, preferably in a school, senior residence, or other institutional services, and two years of management experience in a food service environment.
- Good knowledge of sanitary food handling and storage
- Good understanding of fundamentals of nutrition as they apply to older adults,
- Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of subordinates
- Ability to express ideas clearly, prepare reports, and keep accurate records on participants and volunteers
- Ability to develop and maintain good personal and community relations
- Must be in good physical condition, including standing for prolonged periods, lifting up to 20 lbs, bending, stretching, and walking stairs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be computer savvy and have the ability to produce documents in WORD and spreadsheets in EXCEL.
25-28 hours a week. Benefits include paid time off, a 403b retirement plan, and a flexible spending account. Pay commensurate with experience.
Jewish Federation of the Berkshires is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.
APPLY: Send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org